Our Commonwealth is as diverse as it is great. From the pristine beaches in Tidewater, to the rolling hills of the Shenandoah Valley, to the booming metropolises of Northern Virginia, the regions of the Commonwealth are comprised of different shapes, sizes, and, unfortunately, problems. However, over the past decade, the Office of the Attorney General realized and began to combat a problem that afflicted all areas of the Commonwealth: gangs. No longer were gangs confined to cities, but they were spreading to the rural areas of Virginia.
In an effort to combat rising gang activity, the Office worked to push forward tougher laws in the General Assembly and began arming Law Enforcement with the tools necessary to fight gangs.
- 2011 Gang-Free Community Poster Contest Winners
- Review a summary of gang legislation since 2000.
- Learn more about gangs in Virginia
- The ‘Wrong Family:’ Virginia’s Anti-Gang Video
- 'The Big Lie: Unmasking the Truth Behind Gangs:' Virginia's Youth Anti-Gang Video
- Resources for Parents